TASFA Application Process

The TASFA Process


In 2001 with House Bill (HB) 1403, and then again in 2005 with Senate Bill (SB) 1528, the Texas State Legislature signed into law a bill that allowed certain categories of individuals in the state of Texas to meet state requirements for residency.


Texas Education Code (TEC) Chapter 54, Subchapter B allows all persons whether or not they are international, US Citizens or Permanent Residents, to establish an independent claim to residency based on graduation from high school or the completion of its equivalent after residing in the state for at least 36 months.


The new provisions of TEC 54.052(a)(3) enable these students, and all other students who graduate from high school in Texas under the prescribed conditions*, to be classified as residents and allow them to enroll while paying the resident tuition rate. It is important to note these students are not nonresidents who are getting to pay the resident rate due to a waiver of nonresident tuition. They are classified as bone fide residents under current statutes.


To qualify under these laws, a student must meet the following four provisions: 

  • Graduate from a public or private high school, or receive a GED, in Texas, 
  • Reside in Texas for at least 3 years leading up to high school graduation or receiving a GED, 
  • Reside in Texas for the 12 months leading up to the semester the student is enrolling in college, and 
  • Provide the institution of higher education an affidavit stating the student will file an application to become a U.S. permanent resident as soon as he/she is eligible to do so 

    Note that under these rules, a student does not need to be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or have a social security number assigned.


Applying for Aid 


Students who believe they meet the requirements of SB 1528 should fill out the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) rather than the federal FAFSA form. 


The TASFA application is now available in an electronic version.  You can find the application on the State of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's (THECB) website here.


The TASFA is formatted much like the FAFSA form, with almost identical questions and eligibility requirements. 




Because SB 1528 is a residency issue and not a citizenship issue, students must talk to the Admissions Office about their possible status. Admissions, and not Financial Aid, will determine eligibility for this status.


However, students will submit the TASFA application and accompanying documents to the Financial Aid Office for processing.


Eligibility Requirements 


As noted previously, TASFA students must generally meet the same eligibility requirements that a FAFSA student does with the exception of having an eligible citizenship and a social security number. 


To review, the following eligibility requirements must still be met: 

  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you were born a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25); 
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program; 
  • Must have a HS Diploma or GED 
  • Once in school, must be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as defined by the school 


In addition to the above, TASFA students are required by state law to sign a statement saying they will work on getting their permanent resident status as soon as possible.




Eligible students are awarded from the Texas Public Education Grant fund an amount of $3,410 for the year (half for fall and half for spring), or less if their “need” is less. The award amount is prorated for actual enrollment on census day, and students do not have to be attending a specific number of hours to be awarded. 


Students can charge their books and supplies against the amount like other financial aid students (provided there is money available after covering tuition and fees). 


Any remaining credit balance after paying tuition, fees and books is refunded to the student during the normal financial aid disbursement run. 


If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at FinancialAid@collin.edu